by Angela Ysseldyk, Nutritionist and Beekeeper's Daughter
BeeProof. I know this isn’t actually a word in the English language but it came to me recently when I was pondering how to describe what a massive difference bee pollen, royal jelly, propolis and raw honey has made in my health and the health of my family.
I really feel, and the science backs me up, that there is no health condition that the products of the hive can’t help prevent or treat. My health is better than ever and it’s largely because of bee products.
I feel like my health has become BeeProof…
When you’re BeeProof, your skin glows. Your blood sugar is balanced and so is your energy. Your immune system is strong and vibrant. You sleep soundly and deeply, waking up refreshed. Your brain works how you want it too.
You feel 'protected' just as the Queen is protected in the Hive.
So how do you elevate your health to a BeeProof state, that zone where your body just works right and you have peace of mind knowing you are protected?
It's quite simple really. The four wonders of the hive all offer unique health benefits. They key is to learn how they will benefit you and then develop the daily habits of incorporating raw honey, royal jelly, bee pollen and propolis into your life and the life of your loved ones.
With that in mind, here they are...
1. Honey Water. I can't recommend this enough. Drink a cup of honey water each morning. This simple act alone could revolutionize your health in less than a year. Boost immunity, improve brain function, reduce stress and maybe even enhance fat loss. Learn how to make it and why you should here.
2. Better Sleep. Take 1-2 teaspoons of raw honey before bed to induce restful sleep. I have used this hive-hack with great success. Your brain needs energy while you sleep and it prefers to get this energy from the stored energy in your liver (liver glycogen). Raw honey is very effective at topping up your liver glycogen levels, much better than pasteurized and filtered honey. Not only will you sleep better but you’ll experience all of the health benefits of deeper, more restful sleep like increased immunity and slower aging. Consider mixing raw honey with Apple Cidar vinegar for a stronger effect. Learn more here.
3. Gorgeous Skin: Apply a Royal Jelly and Raw Honey facial once a week to reduce wrinkles, boost collagen and firmness and increase the moisture content of your skin. Royal Jelly was shown to boost the moisture levels of the skin in one study between 28 and 60% in only 21 days. A 2011 study found that royal jelly has a protective effect on the skin from the harmful effects of UVB. This will also treat acne and blemishes. A recent study found that a daily honey dressing treated severe acne.
4. Cancer & Brain Function: To boost your cancer defenses and cognitive function, make my Raw Honey and Curcumin Wonder drink daily. Both raw honey and curcumin are very high in antioxidants and have been shown in studies to have strong activity against cancer cells. Raw honey has also been linked to reduced alzheimer’s disease risk AND in another study, a boost in brain function and memory. Warning: this drink is deliciously addictive. Learn how to make it here.
5. Blood Sugar & Energy: Take 1000 mg of high quality royal jelly with 6% 10-HDA each day for blood sugar and glucose control. Chronically elevated blood sugar levels are linked to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. In one study, 50 female volunteers with blood sugar issues were randomly given a daily dose of a 1,000 mg royal jelly soft gel or a placebo for 8 weeks. After royal jelly supplementation, the blood sugar levels of the participants decreased by levels termed by the scientists as "remarkable."
6. Boost ORAC levels: Take one heaping teaspoon of bee pollen each day to boost anti-oxidant levels, improve hair and nail growth and balance immunity. In 2003, one brand of bee pollen was tested and found to have an ORAC level of 247, which is higher than blueberries. The Institute of Food Chemistry and Technology in Austria conducted a study that concluded that bee pollen contains considerable amounts of antioxidant and polyphenol substances.
7. Cough or Sore Throat: If you get sick and develop a cough or sore throat, melt 1 tablespoon of raw honey in hot water with a touch of lemon juice and sip. In a recent study in children with upper respiratory infections, honey was found to cause significant improvement in cough symptoms. The Royal College of General Practitioners called over the counter cough medicines a “waste of money” and suggested “honey and lemon” instead as an effective yet inexpensive alternative.
8. Cavity Prevention: Add two drops of an alcohol free propolis tincture to your toothpaste and brush your teeth each morning for gum health and cavity prevention. A 2009 review of the many studies on propolis and oral health found compelling evidence that propolis may prevent cavities.
9. Eczema or Psoriasis: If you suffer from dry skin or eczema/psoriasis, apply a beeswax based cream twice daily for results in less than 7 days. Beeswax is now being used in hospitals to help heal skin that has been burned and damaged by chemotherapy. For even faster results, combine the beeswax cream with GLA oil from Borage.
10. Cholesterol: Take 3000 mg’s of propolis each day. According to a 2009 study, this will boost your good cholesterol within 8 weeks. It may also help modulate or reduce blood pressure according to a 2012 study. Propolis has also been shown in studies to have activity against breast, pancreatic, colon and skin cancer cells.
11. Cuts/Wounds: For stubborn skin conditions or wounds that refuse to heal, apply propolis twice daily to accelerate healing. Mix 2-4 drops of propolis into your favorite cream. Propolis based salves and creams are available.
12. Facial Cleanser: As a low cost, effective facial cleanser, simply wash your face daily with raw honey and warm water. Apply the raw honey directly to your face and then gently rinse. This will also help with acne and blemishes while the antioxidants in raw honey will help slow the aging process.
13. Cold and Flu: To prevent colds and flu, consume propolis tincture and raw honey daily. A study from the University of Amsterdam found that raw honey kills the bacteria that causes sinus infections. Another study found that honey is better than Nyquil at treating coughs.
14. Snack: For a healthy snack that provides energy but balances blood sugar and reduces cravings, dip one or two Brazil nuts into some Raw Honey. The healthy fats in the nuts will provide slow burning energy while the naturally occurring fructose in raw honey will top up your liver glycogen (which then fuels your brain). Another healthy snack that boosts energy and mental function is to combine some 85% dark chocolate with some raw honey.
15. Depression and Mood: Depression is a massive health burden with over 350 million people suffering from it globally. As a result, drugs like Prozac are massive sellers. For those who want to avoid these drugs, effective natural options have been limited. However, groundbreaking research on propolis & honey may be changing that. Use honey and propolis to boost mood. Learn more here.
16. Protect and Heal Your Liver: We've all treated our livers badly at some point or another, haven't we? Whether you had one too many drinks or swallowed a few too many Tylenol, the fact is that your liver has been damaged at some point in your life. Fortunately, the liver is an organ that can heal and regenerate itself if given the opportunity and raw materials to do so. Studies show that bee pollen, royal jelly and propolis not only protect your liver, but can help heal it as well. Read how here.
17. Anxiety: If you have a stressful day and want to calm down, try consuming some raw honey along with propolis throughout the day. Animal studies have shown that in higher doses, honey reduces stress and several grams per day of propolis can do the same. A protocol might look like this. 2 - 3 teaspoons of raw, unpasteurized honey throughout the day combined with one 1000 mg propolis capsule each time you ingest the honey.
18. Mouthwash: How many times have you heard from the dentist to limit the amount of sweets you consume or you'll end up with a mouth full of cavities? It looks like you can cross honey off that list as honey doesn't contribute to cavities says a new study. In fact, it appears to have significant dental health promoting properties and may in fact prevent cavities and dental plaque. I make a mouthwash out of honey and xylitol. Learn how here.
19. Natural Antibiotic: Antibiotics (the chemically produced kind) have been in the news lately because of their tremendous overuse and over-prescription by doctors. Drugs that used to be standard treatments for bacterial infections are now less effective or don't work at all. Fortunately, honey has natural antibiotic properties without any of the negative side effects of the synthetic versions. Next time you get a cold, reach from some raw honey. Read more here.
20. Cold Sores: If you are prone to occasional cold sores, there's no reason to be embarrassed. Around 90% of adults have been exposed to herpes simplex by the time that they're 50. Between 50 and 80% of the population carries the virus. Propolis has a long and well-researched history of providing virus protection. A great deal of evidence shows that propolis can help support the immune system and make viral infections go away more quickly. Learn how to get rid of your cold sore here.
Read Next: The Top 10 Health Benefits of Royal Jelly
†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.