Scientists recently aimed to investigate whether royal jelly and bee pollen are able to reduce bone loss caused by osteoporosis.
In osteoporosis, the bone mineral density (BMD) is reduced, bone microarchitecture deteriorates, and the amount and variety of proteins in bone are altered leading to a greater risk of fractures.
To test this theory, scientists fed 32 female rats either bee pollen or royal jelly. And in both groups they initiated menopause by removing their ovaries. There was also a control group that was left alone.
What they found was that the lumbar spine and femur bone density results were significantly higher in the royal jelly and bee pollen groups as were the bone tissue calcium and phosphate levels.
So what does this mean?
It appears that bee pollen and royal jelly don't build bone mass, but they do appear to help decrease the bone loss due to osteoporosis.
Bone Building Ingredients:
So consuming royal jelly and bee pollen just might bee an important part of a bone loss prevention program along with the following bone building supplements that I recommend:
1. Calcium in the citrate-malate or bisglycinate form.
2. Magnesium in the bisglycinate form. Studies show a direct link between higher Magnesium intake and higher bone density in older adults. Magnesium promotes alkalinity in the body, thereby decreasing the risk for urinary Calcium loss.
3. Vitamin D. A major influencer on Calcium status, Vitamin D3 increases absorption from the intestines and helps prevent Calcium loss through the kidneys. Population studies show dietary Vitamin D3, either from supplementation or sunlight exposure, increases protection against osteoporosis and fractures.
4. Vitamin K2 (menaquinone-7)
5. Silicon. Silicon is a trace mineral required by the body to make collagen. Specifically, silicon is converted into silicic acid that the body requires to manufacture collagen and elastin. Collagen is part of the matrix that ensures strong bones.
My Bone Building Protocol:
1. Bee pollen granules
2. Bone Booster
3. Collagen Plus
4. Royal Jelly
The full study listed above can be found under: Royal Jelly and Bee Pollen Decrease Bone Loss Due to Osteoporosis in an Oophorectomized Rat Model, Eklem Hastalik Cerrahisi, 2012 Aug;23(2):100-5
Return from Royal Jelly and Bee Pollen Reduce Bone Loss to Home